Try our homemade Baby Rusks recipe made with traditional rolled oats and pumpkin puree!
Baby rusks are a great way to help soothe your bub’s tender gums as their teeth start to erupt through. Many store bought options contain sugar, which, when sucked for a long periods, can result in cavities in developing teeth. This homemade recipe is made with traditional rolled oats, which are a natural source of iron. The pumpkin provides a nice vegetable boost and gentle flavour, while the addition of cloves acts as a natural analgesic, helping to numb the tender gums.
Ensure when rolling out that you don’t make them too thin so they become brittle and break apart. Adjust cooking time depending on your oven – you want to ensure the rusks are very hard when baked.
If you try this homemade baby rusks recipe make sure to take a photo and tag us on Instagram!
For more finger foods head to our Finger Food & Toddler category!
6x (150g) Nourishing Bubs Pumpkin Cubes
1 ¼ rolled oats (blitzed in food processor) OR 1 cup oat flour
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place Nourishing Bubs Pumpkin cubes in a small saucepan over low to medium heat and stir regularly until melted. Add coconut oil to melt and stir to combine. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and blended oats and mix to combine.
- Flatten mixture between two pieces of baking paper and roll out using rolling pin until approximately 5mm thick (no thinner). Remove top piece of baking paper and indent mixture, so it can be cut into ~10cm x 3cm rectangles once baked.
- Bake for 40minutes or until firm to touch and slightly golden on the edges.
- Allow to cool then split along indentations. Store in airtight container. Can be frozen and served from freezer.
- Remember to always supervise baby when eating as rusk can break off as it softens.