You will be lucky if these Delicious Broccoli Pesto Scrolls survive a day in your house! They’re that good.
This dough recipe is one of the easiest you will ever make, plus it has the goodness of full-fat Greek Yoghurt and wholemeal flour.
You can turn this dough recipe into pizza bases or sweet or savoury scrolls, but we love using it for our broccoli pesto scrolls. It is an easy way to fill your kids up with greens without them ever knowing.
You can also use the pesto on pasta, zoodles, sandwiches or as an alternative to a tomato pizza base.
You will be lucky if these scrolls survive a day in your house, but if they do, they are best stored in an airtight container!
1 cup full-fat Greek Yoghurt
1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour PLUS additional 1/2 cup SR or plain
1 cup cheddar cheese
Broccoli Pesto Ingredients:
1 cup tightly packed spinach
2 cups fresh basil leaves
4 x 25g Nourishing Bubs Broccoli cubes, defrosted
½ cup pine nuts (or other nut)
½ cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to taste
To make pesto:
- Place spinach, basil, pinenuts, broccoli and parmesan in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Turn speed to low and add olive oil in a gradual stream. Continue processing until desired consistency reached. For a slightly runnier pesto, add water.
- Add half the lemon juice, pulse, then taste. Add the remaining juice as you wish. Add salt to taste.
- Store in a jar, covering the top with olive oil to prevent oxidisation. Keep refrigerated.
Makes approximately 1 1/2 cups
To make dough:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place yoghurt and self-raising flour in mixing bowl and slowly mix with a dough hook until combined (alternatively you can use a food processor).
- Dough will still be very sticky so slowly add the additional flour until it appears more dough-like. Turn out onto a floured board or bench and knead, adding flour as necessary. Knead for 3-4 minutes then roll out and shape into rectangle, approximately 1/2 cm thick and the shape and size of a lamington tray.
- Spread dough with 1/2 cup pesto and sprinkle with cheese.
- Carefully roll tightly, starting from the short side. Once rolled into a log, use a sharp knife to cut into 10 x 1cm thick slices. Flatten slightly and place on baking paper lined tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cheese has melted.