Berry Almond Thumbprint Cookies!
These thumbprint cookies have a deliciously soft texture which makes them perfect for little people with few teeth. They are suitable for children aged 1 and above. While our cookies ended up slightly larger than anticipated (and spread into one another – oops!), they really can be made into any size, just bear in mind when cooking that they will spread.
We made a berry chia jam, for a nice boost of omega-3 containing chia seeds and without the sugar, but you could make any flavoured chia jam or use regular jam as you wish.
I recommend starting with 1/3 cup sweetener and assessing sweetness before adding more. 1/2 cup of honey does make quite a sweet, honey flavoured biscuit and especially for young tastebuds that level of sweetness may not be required.
Also, remember that honey is not suitable for children under the age of 1 due to the risk of botulism.
If you try our berry almond thumbprint cookies make sure to take a photo and tag us on Instagram!
For more snacks head to our Snack & Sweets category!
1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
½ cup almond meal
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg white
2 tbsp coconut oil, defrosted
1 tsp corn flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3-1/2 cup honey or maple syrup (depending on desired sweetness)
Berry Chia Jam
4 x Nourishing Bubs Strawberry Blocks
4 x Nourishing Bubs Plum Blocks
½ cup mixed frozen berries (or any berries of your choice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp chia seeds
- To make chia jam – place Nourishing Bubs blocks, chia seeds, frozen berries and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally to allow purees to defrost and frozen berries to defrost and soften. Cook for approximately 10 – 15 minutes until mixture thickens and berries can be mashed up. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place flour, almond meal, corn flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and mix to combine.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in honey, coconut oil and egg white. Mix to combine.
- Place mixture in fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour to firm up. Remove from fridge and roll heaped teaspoons of mixture into balls and place on lined baking tray, well spaced. Slightly flatten mixture and put thumbprint in the middle of each cookie. Then fill with a teaspoon of berry chia jam.
- Place in preheated 180ºC oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.